Ventura County DUI – Driving Pattern
An important piece of evidence in a Ventura DUI case is the driving pattern of the person who was pulled over. In certain cases, the driving pattern may be used to bolster the government's case that the person was impaired. In other cases, a skilled attorney may use the driving pattern as evidence that the person was not impaired.
No DUI Driving Pattern
Most people arrested for a DUI in Ventura County are not pulled over for anything related to drunk driving. Most are stopped for reasons such as speeding, not having a front license plate, having expired registration tags, illegally tinted front windows, etc. In the hands of a skilled attorney, the lack of a DUI driving pattern can be a strong piece of evidence.
DUI Driving Pattern – 24 Cues
The National Highway Traffic Safety and Administration board (NHTSA) has identified 24 “cues” that tend be associated with a DUI. Under the NHTSA guidelines, the cues associated with DUI include:
Cues related to problems in maintaining proper lane position:
- Weaving across lane lines
- Straddling a lane line
- Almost striking a vehicle or other object
- Turning with a wide radius, or drifting during a curve.
Cues related to speed and braking problems:
- Stopping problems (too far, too short, too jerky)
- Accelerating for no reason
- Varying speed
- Slow speed.
Cues related to vigilance problems:
- Driving without headlights at night
- Failure to signal a turn or lane change, or Signaling inconsistently with actions
- Driving in opposing lanes or the wrong way on a one-way street
- Slow response to traffic signals
- Slow or failure to respond to officer's signals
- Stopping in the lane for no apparent reason.
Cues related to judgment problems:
- Following too closely
- Improper or unsafe lane change
- Illegal or improper turn (too fast, jerky, sharp, etc.)
- Driving on other than the designated roadway
- Stopping inappropriately in response to an officer
- Inappropriate or unusual behavior
- Appearing to be impaired.
Ventura DUI Attorney Jasen Nielsen
As a former Ventura County DUI prosecutor, I know how the government will attempt to use your driving pattern against you. I have good relationships with the judges and prosecutors, and know what can be done to mitigate those DUI cases with the worst driving patterns. Please call me today at (805)564-4384 for a free consultation.